TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - My reply, 6/10/2008
People Seeking Info

Subject My reply, 6/10/2008

Posted by Ash's Z on September 07, 2008 at 2:03 AM
  This message has been viewed 779 times.

In Reply To Please learn how to read a dynochart. The mix was 12.23 posted by Ash's Z on September 07, 2008 at 01:50 AM

Message Hi Tony,

I don’t question your mechanic’s ability to perform those tests. J It is important that I check compression and check for boost leaks just before we put the car on the dyno. The compression test is to ensure that both you and I know that the engine is in proper working order and that all of the cylinders are producing proper and equal pressures. If something happens to the car on the dyno or it doesn’t perform as expected and THEN we check the compression to find that one of the cylinders or more than one have low compression, I may very well end up taking the blame for that. If we know just before the tuning that t he compression numbers are out of spec, then I wont have to worry about taking the fall for the engine being damaged. Consider it “risk management” on my behalf and a form of insurance on your behalf.

As for the boost leak test, I want to do that just before the tune to make sure everything is tight. Even from the trip from your tech’s shop to the dyno, something may blow loose and that will affect the tune. We need to make absolutely sure there are no leaks prior to tuning. Both of these tests wont take long to do at all and it is just a really good idea to ensure that everything is in check. If there is a known leak in the system, depending on what I observe in the test, I will be able to make the determination on whether or not it is something that can be “lived with” or if it is something that will be detrimental to the tuning process. I wont be able to say either way until I do the leak test though.

I just like to have all my ducks in a row when we strap the car to the rollers – I don’t like surprises – they waste time and increase the potential for engine damage.

-Ash

[ ashspecz.com ]
[ agpowers@bellsouth.net ]

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.